If divorce is in your future, you undoubtedly have a long list of worries and concerns about the legal process ahead of you. Your first task, however, should be to find the right divorce attorney. An experienced divorce attorney will ensure that your rights are protected, provide guidance and advice, and help you navigate the likely unfamiliar legal system. To get you started, Dallas divorce lawyer Rita M. Boyd offers tips to help you find the right divorce lawyer.
How Do I Find a Divorce Lawyer Near Me?
If you have never needed to retain the services of a divorce lawyer, you may not know where to begin looking for one. The following steps will help you find divorce lawyers near you and then choose the one that is right for you.
- Ask friends, family, and colleagues for recommendations. Divorce is a highly personal, and often emotionally sensitive, process – one that you may not want to share with those around you. While this is understandable, you may find that your friends, family, and even colleagues are your best source for finding the right divorce lawyer for you. Reach out and ask people if they can recommend someone. Personal experience can provide you with the best source of information about prospective lawyers. Not only will you likely find someone you know who recommends a lawyer based on the positive experience they had with that attorney, but you may also find people who tell you not to hire a specific lawyer because they had a negative experience with that attorney.
- Do online research. In today’s electronic age, it is almost unheard of for an attorney to not have an online presence. Of course, you do not want to rely entirely on a website when choosing your attorney; however, a lawyer’s website can give you invaluable insight into what type of law they practice, how long they have been practicing, and even what their unique style/approach is to representing clients. Practical information, such as the ability to schedule weekend, evening, or video appointments may also be found on a lawyer’s website.
- Contact local or state Bar Associations. Yet another excellent source for finding divorce lawyers near you are Bar Associations. Many state and local Bar Associations offer referral services. For example, the Dallas County Bar Association’s Client Referral program can help you find lawyers who practice family law in your area. They can even help you find an attorney who speaks a language other than English if that is among your requirements.
- Prepare a list of questions for your initial consultations. If you have narrowed down your options to two or three lawyers, it may be a good idea to schedule a brief consultation with each one to help you decide which one is right for you. Keep in mind that your time will likely be limited so make the most of it. Make a list of important questions that you want to ask. For example, if you own a business and are concerned about what will happen to it in the divorce, be sure to ask how the business will be handled. If you predict a custody battle, ask the lawyer how he/she approaches contentious custody disputes. Discussing the attorney’s fee should be among those questions as well.
- Choose your lawyer. Ultimately, your choice of attorney may come down to your gut feeling after speaking to two or three options. If you foresee a lengthy and bitter divorce, remember that you will be working with your divorce lawyer and his/her staff for months, even years. You want someone that you are comfortable with and who you feel will protect your rights throughout the divorce process.
Contact a Dallas Divorce Lawyer
If you have additional questions or concerns about a Texas divorce, contact experienced Dallas divorce lawyer Rita M. Boyd, P.C. to discuss your legal rights and options by calling 972-380-8000 to schedule your appointment today.